Fall trends for 2013
By Rose Dennis
This season, designers created a number of ‘must have’ looks. On the runway, Seattle’s own Grunge look has been updated to be glamorous; Punk is now pretty and feminine; animal prints continue to be strong – and the trend of borrowing from the men continues (see: hounds-tooth and pinstripe patterns in pantsuits, worn with loafers or oxfords). Also on trend this season is paying homage to the Hollywood glamour of the 40’ 50’s and 60’s Hollywood glamour for evening – and making a statement with a unique coat or jacket as a the number one cover-up. And when it comes to accessories- ‘the belt’ is the go-to for making everything look new.
- Fabric: Leather is #1. Lace; Digital prints are still in style; Plaids; Woven Knit sweaters and dresses with knife pleats; and jersey knits.
- COLOR: Black, white, black-and-white, shades of gray; Camel; Yellow; Pink; Green’s and Teal will stand out. Purple reigns. Red’s on fire. Orange is hot. And blue, with a big return to navy, remains America’s favorite color.
- Accessories: A feminine and pointed-toe pump shoe; feather and sequin embellishments; a bold colored handbag; hats and gloves; second skin boots; rocker boots; red lips; a statement necklace, earrings and cuff.
After attending many of the designer shows in the United States and in Europe, Ken Downing, Fashion Director for Neiman Marcus, gives “The List for Her” for Fall 2013.
- Rocker Chic: Fashion Tunes In
- Violet Femmes: From lavender to eggplant, purple reigns
- Boys Town: A dash of haberdashery, a touch of tomboy
- The Pointed Toe: Looks sharp on everything from pumps to boots
- Lace Noir: Fade to Black-both day and night
- Red, The New Neutral: Has us fired up
- Animal Magnetism: We’re wild for spots and stripes
- Scaled –Down Handbags: Mini dimensions, major impact
- The Fall Face: Toned down gets turned up
- Multifaceted Necklaces: Gem-cut stones add a flash of brilliance